This is a venue for the media to download and gather information about the expedition. Contact Arctic Portal for additional information.
Photos (click for high definition - All photos by PRIC):
Photos from the Xuelongs visit in Iceland are now available online. The vessel was in Iceland for four days and many activities took place. Click here to see the photos. The vessel was in Iceland for four days and many activities took place. Click here to see the photos.
In relation to Xuelongs visit in Iceland, the second China-ICeland symposium was held in the University of Iceland. President Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson attended the symposium and held the closing remarks. Click on the names to watch the presentations.
- - Opening by Iceland's Senior Arctic Official, Hjálmar W. Hannesson and the Chinese Ambassador to Iceland, H.E. Su Ge.
- Dr. Huigen Yang Dr. Huigen Yang, Polar Research Institute in China and Prof. Deyi Ma, Director of the First Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration - About CHINARE5 and Chinas Arctic research
- - Dr. Þorsteinn Gunnarsson, the Icelandic Centre for Research - "Iceland's Arctic Policy and International Research Cooperation".
- - Dr. Ruibo Lei, Polar Research Institute of China - "Interactions among Arctic Atmosphere, Sea Ice and Ocean and their Links to the Climate in China".
- - Associate professor, Ingibjörg Jónsdóttir, University of Iceland, Science Institute - "Remote Sensing of Sea Ice, Observations and Measurements during the CHINARE5 Expedition".
- - Dr. Yanguang Liu, the First Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration - "Reviewing and Proceedings of Marine Geological Survey during the Chinese Arctic Expedition"
- - Dr. Ármann Höskuldsson, University of Iceland, Institute of Earth Sciences - Volcanic and tectonic evolution of the Reykjanesridge".
- - Dr. Jón Eiríksson, University of Iceland, Institute of Earth Sciences - "Geological Record of Oceanographic Variability at the Arctic Front".
- - Dr. Minggang Cai, Xiamen University - "Fate of Some Persistent Toxic Substances from the Northern Pacific to the Adjacent Arctic".
- - Dr. Helgi Jensson, the Environment Agency of Iceland - "Monitoring of Pollutants in the Marine Environment around Iceland".
- - Closing remarks by the president of Iceland, Dr. Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson.
An Arctic seminar was also held in Akureyri, in te Northern part of Iceland. The Xuelong visited Akureyri before leaving Iceland. Here are recordings from the Arctic seminar:
- Opening by Geir Kristinn Aðalsteinsson, chairman of the Akureyri city council
- Opening by Su Ge, ambassador of China in Iceland
- Dr. Huigen Yang and Prof. Deyi Ma: "Chinese Polar Research and CHINARE 5"
- Dr. Þorsteinn Gunnarsson, RANNIS: China-Icelandic Arctic Science Cooperation
- Dr. Hongqao Hu and Dr. Gunnlaugur Björnsson: The Joint Aurora Observatory
- Mr. Egill Þór Níelsson and Prof. Zhang Xia from PRIC: Arctic Shipping Cooperation between China and Iceland under CNARC
- Embla Eir Oddsdóttir, Stefansson Arctic Institute and University of Akureyri: Arctic Shipping
- Stefán B. Sigurðsson, rector of the University of Akureyri: Closing remarks
Logos (click to enlarge,then right click to download):